Preparing your trash for collection is not as simple as it once was.
Numerous regulations from federal, state and local authorities guide what is allowed to go in the trash. In general, anything that cannot be recycled or composted goes into the trash; however there are exceptions:
Do not put the following items in your trash:
- Electronics – Electronics can be recycled at the City of Boulder’s CHaRM Center located at 6400 Arapahoe. For information on the statewide ban on electronics in landfills, click here.
- Motor oil, gasoline or other flamable liquids
- Hazardous waste (Check Household Hazardous Waste details )
- Liquid paint or any other liquid wastes
- Needles or syringes
- Cooking oil (can be disposed of if solidified, i.e. add kitty litter to solidify)
- Loose or hot ashes
- Dirt, sod, brick, concrete or rock
- Debris from construction, remodeling or demolition
- Dead animals (please contact your local Humane Society for assistance)
What do you do if you have a large item that won’t fit in your cart, such as a sofa, mattress or an appliance?
Western collects large and unusual items for an additional charge. To schedule a large or bulky item to be collected, call us at 303-444-2037 to get information on pricing and to schedule a pickup on your service day or another day.