Some folks hesitate to compost food waste scraps because of concerns about odors or flies but there are several approaches that can be used to eliminate these problems:
- Keep a small compostable bag in your freezer and deposit the food waste there as you generate it. Pull it out and put it in your compost cart on compost day.
- If you’re not in an area where wildlife is a concern, store scraps in a 5-gallon pail with a lid on your back deck or porch.
- Deposit food scraps directly into your compost cart and layer with newspaper or pieces of cardboard to absorb moisture.
- Place a bathroom size trash can under the sink lined with a compostable bag. Keep it loosely tied while not in use to keep odor in and flies out.
- Purchase a container with a tight fitting lid and keep on your counter top.
- Check the internet for any number of “recipes” to combat fruit flies. We find a glass of cider vinegar with a few drops of dish soap to be an elegantly simple solution.