In an effort to increase overall diversion in the City of Boulder, Boulder City Council adopted the Universal Zero Waste Ordinance in June. This ordinance contains two key provisions:
- All residential, multi-family, and commercial property owners located within City limits must subscribe to trash, recycling, and compost service for the property.
- All businesses must use the trash, recycle, and compost service and provide proper receptacles for their employees and customers.
All property owners must be in compliance by June 2016.
On the residential side, all property owners will now be required to subscribe to trash service. Western’s current residential service, as regulated by the City of Boulder, bundles trash, recycle, and compost service, which ensures current and future residential customers will automatically be in compliance with this new ordinance.
For the commercial sector, property owners must subscribe to each service individually. Western Disposal can provide turn-key compliance services including:
- One-stop shopping for trash, recycling, and composting collection services
- Right-size service levels and containers sizes
- Connection to education and rebate programs provided by the City of Boulder and Boulder County.
Western has a long history of working with our customers to ensure they can comply with any programs or policies implemented by the communities we serve. The commercial incentives and rebates listed below are subject to the availability of funds so don’t delay. Contact us to see how we can help you today!
**Updated Zero Waste Incentives – Important Information for Existing Customers**
Commercial Compost Subsidy
- Has been discontinued for new subscriptions
- The subsidy of $2.50 per cubic yard currently being paid by the City of Boulder to commercial compost customers will be reduced to $1.25 effective October 1, 2015.
- The subsidy will be discontinued entirely on December 31, 2015.
Zero Waste Start-up Rebate
- Commercial customers are now eligible for a 50% rebate, up to $1,000, to cover the costs of zero waste bins, signage and compostable bin liners.
- Cannot be applied to the purchase of compostable service ware or takeout containers
- Rebate is subject to availability of funds
Property Manager Grant
- The City has implemented a rolling grant program to pay up to half the cost of enclosure expansions needed to accommodate proper receptacles for landfill, recycling and compost collection.
- Applications for funding will be reviewed as received by City of Boulder staff, and grant amount awarded (up to 50%) is subject to staff discretion.
- Grant program is subject to availability of funds and can end at any time.