Clean segregated wood waste delivered by residents can be recycled at our Trash and Recycle Center at discounted rates through programs sponsored by local government and administered by Western Disposal. Wood collected through this program is ground into clean wood mulch and reused in the community for landscaping, animal bedding and as an ingredient in compost.
- This program is free to city of Boulder residents.
- Unincorporated Boulder County residents receive a 40% discount from normal wood waste drop-off pricing.
- Wood waste delivered by contractors from construction job sites or delivered by commercial businesses do not receive a subsidy by the City of Boulder or Boulder County, but the fee for clean wood waste for recycling is 30% less than our fee for construction waste as trash – it is worth the effort to bring us your yard waste separately!
The following clean wood waste – meaning that is untreated, unstained and unpainted – is accepted at the wood waste drop-off:
- Dimensional lumber
- Other engineered wood products (I-joists and microlams)
The following materials are NOT ACCEPTED at the wood waste drop-off:
- Painted or stained wood
- Chemically treated wood (CCA, Creosol, others)
- Plastic wood products (wood-polymer lumber)
- Why is this not accepted? We grind our material into mulch and it is used for bedding for projects throughout the community; the toxicity of the treated lumber is not suitable for this purpose.