What Is Six-Day-Review?
Under the City of Boulder’s trash ordinance, “Six-Day Review” is a program that requires all landlords who own rental property in the Hill and Goss Grove neighborhoods to sign up for this program with their trash hauler during student move in and move out which occurs in spring and late summer. Haulers who offer this service will drive to the signed-up property six days per week to look for and collect trash that has accumulated inside and outside the containers for the affected properties. If you have trash on the ground and you have rental property that is not signed-up for Six-Day Review, you can be ticketed by the Boulder Police Department. Each violation of the City’s municipal code has a fine per occurrence of up to $1,000.00.
How Does Six-Day-Review Work?
Geographical boundaries include:
- University Hill Arapahoe, Broadway, Baseline and 9th
- Goss Grove Canyon, Folsom, Boulder Creek and 15th
Time frame for 2017:
- Spring: May 10 – May 16, 2017
- Fall: July 24 – August 23, 2017
- When you are signed up for Six-Day-Review, Western Disposal will drive by your property Monday-Saturday, excluding holidays for trash collection.
- Trash containers that are full will be emptied that day (Monday -Friday). On Saturday, containers will be emptied if they are more than half full. If the container(s) is emptied on your regularly scheduled pickup day, there will be no additional charge for emptying the container(s) other than your normal service fee. If there is additional trash outside the container(s), it will be collected and the account charged.
- If we check your container(s) on a day other than your regular collection day and the full or half-full thresholds do not apply (and there is no trash on the ground), there will be no charge for the property review that day if your trash service is located in an alley.
- Under the Universal Zero Waste ordinance recyclables collection requirement, Western will drive by your property on Tuesdays and Fridays, excluding holidays, for recyclables collection.
- Recycle containers that are more than half full will be emptied on Tuesdays and Fridays. All recyclable materials outside of the container(s) will be collected as well.
- There will be a $21.00 fall recycle program fee to cover the new recyclables collection requirement. There will be no other charges for recyclables collection on Tuesdays and Fridays.
- If recycle container(s) are emptied on regularly scheduled pickup days other than Tuesdays and Fridays, there will be no charge for emptying the container(s) other than your normal service fee. If there are additional recyclables outside the container(s), it will be collected and the account charged.
- If your property has curb collection service versus alley service, due to the significant additional cost we will incur to check curb locations for trash six days per week for the 12% of single family homes or units that do not have alley access, there will be a Six-Day Review fee of $30.00 for the spring and $50.00 for the fall programs. This is in addition to any charges you may have for trash collected at the curb.
- Single family rental homes which have automated curbside collection, versus alley service, will not be required to have the new additional Tuesday and Friday recyclables collections if their recyclables container is sufficient size to prevent its contents from overflowing.
- If you have previously given us your email address or if you provide us with your email address, we will notify you each day of any Six-Day-Review charge that will appear on a future invoice. If you have not provided an email address, we will mail you a postcard.
- Please remember, to sign up for Six-Day Review service, your property must have regularly scheduled trash service with Western Disposal. The regularly scheduled service must also be billed to you. You cannot sign up Six-Day Review service for your tenants if the regularly scheduled service is in their name(s). They will need to sign up for Six-Day Review service for themselves.